Sunday 20 March 2016

Coloboma and me

*I have UNILATERAL (in one eye only) COLOBOMA (the eye did not form fully) of the IRIS, RETINA, OPTIC NERVE and CHOROID.
*The SAME eye is microphthalmic (small eye) and has nystagmus (fast to-and-fro movements of the eyes).
*I also developed a VERY noticeable strabismus (squint) which was surgically corrected when I was 26; it was highly unlikely to self-correct since there was not enough vision there to pull it in the other direction. 

I am completely blind in that eye. 

My mum and dad were given a ghastly prognosis (good old scary eighties! LOL!) 
They were told I'd be delayed in every way possible -and would be lucky to hit ANY milestones etc etc; they were told I'd NEVER go to mainstream schooling etc and would ALWAYS need cared for...
Well I went to a nursery school for blind and partially-sighted kids and apparently hit a great many milestones well before expected...particularly emotional ones *i was the wee girl who was always checking everyone got a turn with the ball/whatever game we were playing* LOL
I went to mainstream schools and was in the top classes of every subject with the exception of sports -I just can't get the hang of depth perception and so would completely plummet in mood (and I MADE SURE that EVERYONE knew it!Hahahaa!!) *however, thinking back, I didnt try mich and because of my visual impairment, teachers were afraid to push me.. I'd just blame my vision/lack thereof when i couldn't be bothered or didn't like something...i got let off with SOOOO much!!

anyhoo...after high school, I then went to (mainstream) university and gained an honours degree in music.
I live in my own flat. 
Alone. 
Well, with pets...lol.
I drive...

I'm so grateful to my parents and siblings and other family members...they supported me AND knew when tough love was the way to do it!!

I don't know how they did it!!



No comments:

Post a Comment